This Halloween Then and Now lesson plan for 1st – 3rd grade levels provides a printable or projectable informational text that focuses on the historic origins of the holiday and compares Halloween traditions then and now. (Also available: Halloween Then and Now lesson plan for 4th – 6th grade)
This lesson plan includes a variety of activities to support your English Language Arts standards during this Halloween season! The lesson guides students to revisit the text in search of deeper information, talk about the text, take notes, and write about their new learning in a fun Haunted House shape book!
This Halloween resource includes:
- – printable student informational text booklet: “Halloween: Then & Now”
- – projectable teacher informational text: “Halloween: Then & Now”
- – one page printable article: “Halloween: Then & Now”
- – two lesson plan options: An engaging I See, I Think, I Wonder lesson or a thorough lesson plan that will walk you step by step through the close reading process
- -grade specific text dependent questions for 1st, 2nd and 3rd which focus on RI standards
- -text dependent questions answer keys
- -note taking graphic organizers
- -partner Talk strategy poster
- -unknown Words vocabulary poster
- -student writing printable: Haunted House Shape Book in two sizes
- -witch craftivity template and instructions
- Students LOVE Halloween and sometimes teachers wish they could feed off that energy to make the holiday a little more educational. We’ve created a meaningful way to engage students in the excitement of Halloween while also meeting ELA standards.