This Pumpkin STEM challenge is designed to help your students think outside the box and learn how the world works. This Pumpkins STEM challenge helps students explore the engineering design process using common materials.
The STEM Process:
Present the STEM challenge: Use provided materials to build a ramp for your pumpkin. Remember, you are competing with your friends to see whose pumpkin will get home the fastest and whose will roll the farthest. Then students imagine, explore, reimagine, plan, create & test, improve, reflect, and evaluate their designs.
We’ve included a list for material recommendations, but this challenge can be done with materials you have on hand, such as paper, pipe cleaners, cups, popsicle sticks, string, scissors, cotton balls, cardboard, rubber bands, glue, and tape.
- Step-by-Step lesson plans
- STEM Challenge worksheets for each step of the design process
- Printable templates for design enhancements
- Vocabulary Cards
- Explore science connections with QR codes and an infographic
- Materials List
- Ask Poster
- STEM Challenge Poster
- Recording Sheets
- Engineering Design Process posters
- Self/Group Evaluation Checklist