This Spiders STEM challenge
is designed to help your students think outside the box and learn how the world works. This Spiders STEM challenge helps students explore the engineering design process using common materials.
The STEM Process:
Present the STEM challenge: Use the provided materials to build a web. The web must be able to trap the insect without breaking! Then students imagine, explore, reimagine, plan, create & test, improve, reflect, and evaluate their designs.
We’ve included a list for material recommendations, but this challenge can be done with materials you have on hand, such as paper, pipe cleaners, cups, popsicle sticks, string, scissors, cotton balls, cardboard, rubber bands, glue, and tape.
- Step-by-Step lesson plans
- STEM Challenge worksheets for each step of the design process
- Printable templates for design enhancements
- Vocabulary Cards
- Explore science connections with QR codes and an infographic
- Materials List
- Ask Poster
- STEM Challenge Poster
- Recording Sheets
- Engineering Design Process posters
- Self/Group Evaluation Checklist